The Choir School was erected in 1959 in order to provide proper education to the boys who sang in the Cathedral Choir. Back then, the school still was part of the church musician training. That training was transferred to the Utrechts Conservatorium in 1987. In the Cathedral Choir as well as in the Choir School, there have been both boys and girls, for many years.
The bond between the school and the choir has remained. The Cathedral Choir Utrecht (KKU) isn’t part of the school, but a separate association. They sing during the high masses in the St Catharine’s Cathedral and give concerts, both in the Netherlands and abroad. The children from groups 7 and 8 sing together with the Cathedral Choir. After the Choir School, many children do choose to become part of the Cathedral Choir and to keep singing there.